To get even more out of your Getaway experience, you can
add-on the following tutorials and special workshops.
Tutorial in Prose |
Tutorial in Poetry |
Algonquin-style Workshops |
Prose tutorials offer a constructive critique on a work in progress that you're
not sharing in your workshop such as an essay, short story or excerpt from a
novel or longer nonfiction manuscript. These one-on-one-sessions last
twenty minutes and you may request general feedback or seek assistance on a
specific question or problem you are having.
● Open to all participants, regardless of which workshop you participate
● Tutorials will take place during the Getaway on Saturday and Sunday
starting at 4:40 pm.
● If you would like to request a specific faculty member for your tutorial,
please note it in the comment box when you register.
● Your piece (or excerpt) may be up to 15 pages, double-spaced with 1"
margins and a 12 point font plus a 1 page synopsis.
● Be ready to submit your piece by Dec. 15 (or if registering after that date, submit within a week of registering) so your tutor can read your piece ahead of
● There is a $100 fee for each Tutorial in Prose you add.
Poetry tutorials offer a constructive critique on a poem in
progress that you're not sharing in your workshop. These
one-on-one-sessions last twenty minutes. Some people like to get
feedback on a poem they are still working on; others bring one they
think might be finished. Either is fine.
● Open to all participants, regardless of which workshop you
● Tutorials will take place during the Getaway on Saturday and
Sunday starting at 4:40 pm.
● No need to send your poem ahead of time; our tutors are
experienced at providing constructive and supportive feedback in the
● Note for Poetry Writing workshop participants (Regular and
- Your tuition includes one tutorial, and you're welcome
to add-on an additional one if you'd like.
- You will have the opportunity to select your time slot(s)
and tutor(s) at the start of the Saturday morning session.
● Note for tutorial participants taking other workshops: On
Friday evening, we will ask you to stay a few minutes after Opening
Program (approximately 9:30 pm) to select your time slot and tutor.
You may read the tutors' bios
● There is a $75 fee for each Tutorial in Poetry you add.
for an Algonquin-style soirée for lively discussion and
a raucous good time. Oh, and feedback on your work too. The fee
includes your first two drinks, so no matter the quality of what you
bring to the workshop, you'll leave with a good buzz. Open to all
participants, regardless of which workshop you take. Each session is
$100 and includes two drinks; cash bar available for additional
Algonquin-style Poetry Workshop
copies of a poem in progress (30 line maximum). Limited to 10
participants per session. Both sections led
Friday, 3:30-6:30 pm - Filled*
● Saturday, 4:30-7:30 pm -
1 spot just opened
Algonquin-style Prose Workshop
Fiction and nonfiction welcome. Bring 11 copies of a short piece or excerpt of your work in progress.
(Should be 2-3 pages, double-spaced with 1" margins and a 12 point
font.) Limited to 10 participants. Led by
Richard K. Weems.
● Friday, 3:30-6:30 pm -
Experienced poets are invited to work with our Special
Guests, Tony Hoagland and Stephen Dunn.
Poetry Writing with Stephen Dunn - Filled*
Poetry Writing with Tony Hoagland - Filled*
The Dunn/Hoagland sessions are part of the Advanced Poetry
Workshop, which is comprised of three periods of craft
discussion/writing to prompts and three feedback sessions. By adding
on a workshop with Stephen or Tony, you would work with one of them
for one of those feedback sessions. Some people choose to add on a
session with both of them which means they would only have one
session with our talented, but lesser
If you opt to work with one of our Special Guests during the workshop feedback
sessions, you may bring a poem in
progress (30 line maximum) or the day's assignment to be critiqued.
Enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to
one of these intensive sessions per Special Guest. There is a
$100 surcharge for each of these add-ons which is limited to 10
*Interested in a workshop that is filled? View our
Wait List Information.